Thursday 7 February 2013

QUENTIN JONES

Mix of live film with animation. I like the use of colour and collage techniques. The sound/music flows really well too.
Mix of typography works really well and the mostly black and white colour scheme with flashes of colour.
This piece I find interesting as she works on top of the medium to create new meanings. I like the craft element incorporated into this less reliance on the  sfx/digital route to recreate these...  but this is because I'm a noob on these programs still. 
It was this video that made me fall in love with her work. Who knew Chanel nail polish could be this interesting? 
Jones explains her work/inspiration. 

Jones work reminds me of Terry Gilliam's Monty Python animations.

I think ever since Hugo suggested the animation/film route, going out of your 'comfort zone'- I've been quite compelled to go down the 'fuck it and go with it' route for this brief. Potentially dangerous (marks wise) but like he says it's probably the only time to really explore these routes before shit gets serious (third year dun dun dunn). 
Anyway I know the narrative/story is always the core element but I've been thinking of artists/designers/film makers/animators etc. I've liked in the past and it re-sparked my love for Quentin Jones' work. It's the kind of style I like and I want to explore. Fantastical, whimsical, a sense of 'rough' way of handling (craft element)..... I love it. Let's see if I combine this kind of technique with my narrative.